Thursday, March 10, 2005

Annex Update P. 2

Today's show went terribly. I dropped lines a couple times, and I don't have that many lines to begin with... Roger and Mark from my neighborhood theater came and saw me today too, which was very sweet of them but I wish I'd given them a better performance. I think I was jinxed... I made a sarcastic remark before the show about how I was going to refuse to take anymore notes because my performance was perfect. I was joking! But I just couldn't get into it today.

We only had one school come but there was a talk-back. The two teachers that were there asked 99% of the questions. That was a bit annoying. I think those kids just wanted to leave. I was too miserable to answer any of the questions, because I felt so lousy about my performance. I wished I could have answered the question about "should someone who wants to be an actor study theater in college?" I would have appalled them with the answer "Not all actors should go to school. School isn't for everyone." But I couldn't say that because Mr. Van Daan already had put in his 10 cents about why school is necessary. There was also the question, what should someone DO if they want to be an actor? What was our advice? I said nothing, but here is my advice: Get your self-worth from a source outside of theater. Know that theater will never love you as much as you love theater. I wonder what the 12-14 year olds would have thought of that. I guess it's good I didn't answer the question. I mean, who wants to listen to a bitter (old) actress?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I think you give good advice. Too bad you didn't get to give it.

Dawn said...

It's good advice, better to learn young--it's all true, after all. And for the record, you're not old. :-)