Friday, July 09, 2004

Last night I went to Emily Harris and Alex Loney's rehearsal dinner. This was a lovely gathering on the Huron River in one of Ann Arbor's Metro Parks. I don't know really where, Ian Drove. Rivers remind me of the campout or sadly and nostalgically, the roadtrip. Ian and I, as I may have mentioned, have the job of MCing the reception. I felt really honored to be there. The food was lovely and the wine was good--donated by Alex's uncle.
It's hard for me to admit to myself that I am old enough to be married. Maybe I am not, but some people my age are. I still feel very young, as I've said, and don't know what a husband would do with my scheming habit, a habit I am not ready to let go of.

I met with my favorite Irishman, James McNaughton, yesterday for coffee and had a blast chatting about how to get around Europe. Irish citizens have Europe and all its employment opportunities at their disposal. James was very encouraging about me learning French. "Oh, you'll pick it up after living there for a little while. It's easy." Yeah right, Mr. McNaughton. French is going to kick my ass in the challenge, but that's something my first English teacher here at UofM knows all about--kicking my ass in the challenge. This is a man who makes his incoming freshman study James Joyce as soon as they walk in the door. Well, anyway, it was a fun visit.

While I was at the Dinner my friend Tait asked me who I would dedicate my first book to. I said, depends on what that book is about. He said, "Your travels."
I said, "Around the country? Lisa."
He said, "Okay, how about on a private trip to Europe."
"Switzerland?" I said. He nodded. I told him my first book would be called "Neutral" about the land of no political stances. The book would be dedicated to Paul Simon, who has given us the lyric, "I have no opinion about that. I have no opinion about me."

2 comments:

lizzo said...

scheming habit... lol. i am definitely not ready for a husband either.

lizzo said...

i think that paul simon quote is perfect, too, btw.