Saturday, July 10, 2004

I think I should take time, since I've mentioned the rehearsal dinner, to say that the wedding last night was beautiful and very reflecting of Emily and Alex. The secret to a good wedding is do as few of the cliche's as possible. No garters at my wedding. No throwing the bouquet. Pick the ones you like. If you like dancing, do dancing. But you don't need the bubbles.

The Loney wedding was elegant and simple--nothing real complicated and everything seemed to fit well. The music during the ceremony was classical. It was nice to hear John Downer play his trumpet--I hadn't. There was a small orchestra, a quintet? And Ian sang some Handel. The gowns were pretty and also simple. I was impressed with the suits (I think I just like guys in suits. This is weird to acknowledge...) though the poor groomsmen were were too hot, as in temperature, as in sweating, in them.

Ian and I MC'd the reception. We think we are funnier than we are, and this was apparent. We saw early on that our brand of clever wasn't really hitting home with the "audience," so we kept it simple. For instance:

IAN: Many of you have asked us what it meant that we were mistress and master of ceremony tonight. Nora, what does that mean?
NORA: It means that this is a hostile take-over and the wedding is ours.

...dribbles of laughter...

IAN: Just kidding
NORA: We were kidding.

It's weird to see Ian and Nora written and not be talking about Ian Bonner.

The music was provided by the Steve Sharp Quartet--Swing Standards and Jazz music. Very classy as well. Oh, the reception was at Weber's. The Ceremony was at the Methodist Church on the corner of State and Huron.

I danced a little. I'm not too good at that, though I'd like to improve. Toward the end of the night I had a very interesting conversation with one of Alex's groomsmen, who took a lot of playwrighting courses here at UM with Oyamo. The kid looked like John Lennon, which was kind of weird. If you're going to look like a celebrity, though, that celebrity might as well be John Lennon. Anyway, I get such a kick out of talking to writers. I think once I got such a kick out of talking to actors. This is a weird thought.

Nice Wedding though. A nice reminder of God's relationship with the church. I guess marriage is good for SOMEthing... ;)


4 comments:

B-Go said...

Sounds like it was a nice wedding and I would have enjoyed hearing you and Ian MC. You crack me up... all the time.

Dawn said...

Wednesday nights at the Union. http://swingannarbor.org

lizzo said...

NORA, I FOUND YOU!

you were fantastic mcs. the rowdy table in the back (kathy tan, ben ng, laura li, joel and amy coplen, sandra h., her bf brian, and myself) enjoyed you immensely and laughed very hard. but we were also very far in the back. :)

i like guys in suits too. i have no shame acknowledging that. ;)

looking forward to seeing you soon! :)

lizzo said...

nora, your blog is fantastic. i have littered it with comments. and you have restored my faith in blogging.