Sunday, February 05, 2006

gratitude

I'm grateful for Eric Bibb lately because he sings "Learn from everyone, that's what life is for." He's coming to the Ark next Thursday but I have a show.

To add to the adventures in bohemian impoverishment, i have been hanging out with john garrett some more for the van's sake. Our last adventure went something like this.

(Garrett House, 8:35 am. Breakfast nook)
JOHN: I want lunch.
NORA: It's not even 9 am. How bout a snack...?
JOHN: Lunch!
NORA: I'll make you a snack. What do you want?
JOHN: A just-jelly sandwich.
(She makes him one.)
JOHN: (screaming) I want only half!
NORA: Chill. You can eat it later, around Lunch Time.
(John finishes his half and then stands on his chair, reaches around to the cookie jar and sticks his hand in.)
NORA: What are you doing?
JOHN: I get a treat after lunch!
NORA: You didn't have lunch. You had a snack.
(Nora checks the cookie jar to see if they are oatmeal or peanut butter or other cookies acceptable before 9am, as it is now 8:55. She finds ho-hos, or whatever those individually wrapped chocolate covered cream cakes are called)
Nora: HA! No way, dude. You can have one after lunch.
JOHN: (Screaming again) But I did have lunch!
NORA: You did not have lunch before 9.
JOHN: I get a treat!!!
(John procedes to scream for no less than 20 mins. Nora leaves the room and goes upstairs so she won't have to deal with his constant "I hate yous". When he's quiet she goes downstairs again.)
NORA: I need to go to the grocery store. Wanna come?
JOHN: No.
NORA: I'll be getting food this time...
JOHN: Let's go right now!

Other news. At Hannan House we're performing The Legend of Sleepy Hollow next. This time my Grandma will play someone named Van Ripper. With this in mind, life won't be boring for a while yet...

We opened Moonglow this week. I hear the audience reactions pretty clearly. Tons of laughing or sniffling. The woman who plays Maxine (me when I'm old, sorta... you gotta see it) is astounding. I have a greater appreciation for the play as a whole since we've had good audience feedback so far, much which comes from my Joel. I had no idea how much his opinion mattered to me... but I guess I don't want to embarrass him any more so enough about that. But I'm glad that he liked it. I'm very encouraged after this weekend, from Joel, from the director and the from the playwright. I'm glad to be a part of the show.

It sure is nice to be paid to act... And it's nice to be paid PERIOD, since now I can go grocery shopping, etc. I have been well-taken care of in my time of broke-ness, and I'm super grateful to all that helped.

I leave you with something I caught Stevie Wonder saying today at the bit of pre-show I got to see between shows today. (And WHY he didn't have the halftime slot in the motor city is totally beyond me. Who makes these decisions anyway? He sounded great, by the way...) After singing "Now is the time for love" or something like that, he said, "Remember, it's not the religion, but the relationship..." I had no idea Stevie had been attending Dale Batten's Bible Study!

1 comment:

detroit joel said...

yer the bomb!