Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Bethany and I had a neat discussion tonight about the games we played during childhood. I realised that I have been writing before I knew how to write--whenever we played house or somekind of game like that (situational--restaurant, doctor, library) I always bossed people around, giving them plot guidelines. I knew what every character had to do. I must have been a pain in the ass, but it's kind of fun to think about.

Anyway, it's looking at things like that: the pages and pages of letters i wrote to Erik; the books marjorie and I passed during the long DSA hours filled with our writing; the journals i have kept since 8th grade; sitting with my mom, at the age of five, dictating to her plays I wrote while she typed them on her wordprocessor--remembering these helps me to say, "yeah, i was supposed to be a writer all along." And the disappointment of giving up on my theater dreams doesn't seem so heavy. Besides, is there really that big of a difference between theater and being a writer? Not so huge.

No comments: