Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Poems about the Apocalypse

I've been writing some poetry as a warm up when I work on my fiction. My mother has a book of poetry forms and I'm working my way through it.

ABSTRACT: When the sound of the words and lines of the poem take precidence over their meaning. I found that my poem did have meaning--probably influenced by the fact that I've been reading Ezekiel. I call it:

WRATH
Green slugs in the gray mud sing the
Murky thumps of rhinoceros stomps and
Breathe the geekish friends of freaks in chalked-up streaks.
We climb the drums and twiddling tombs. And daylight:
Mighty heads hear the fearful hell-bound snow clowns
Scream their tunes in flutes and sticks beating,
Dripping the jet stream waves and waking in ready tears
To trumpets jumping shrieks and painting cheeks in peaches. Teach
The drooping child to jump. Dance the doom steps home in
Synchronization: acclamations heard in foreign lyrics, spears
And swords swipe the screams in two. The notes bounce, pouncing
As puppies on careful stones. The end will not come. The end
Has already begun.

The other is a double-sided ACROSTIC:

reality isn’t always pretty is it
ever enough to sing your aria
to ease my troubles make me ask
unanswerables and this ache
runs my show and plays the guru
now standing in this looking-glass
tries to teach me to trust this ash
out from hellfire they’ll burst to
unimagined heights no sum
sustained in this darkness come

DISCOVERY: I like words with "hell" in them, Hell-fire, Hell-bound...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's "apocalypse."

You are spectacular. You are so spectacular.

I wonder if you would have fun sharing poems with my mom? She wants poetry friends.

Lisa said...

"you think i'm interesting/ like the apocalypse." (Sam Phillips).

I think of that song every time I see this on your blog.

Emily said...

...hellish, hell-cat, hell's bells, hellion (my favorite - imagine calling your child "a hellion")

and then there are the words and phrases with Satan: satanic, satanist, spawn of Satan, imp of Satan (notice how many of these phrases refer to children)

question: we talk about Satan's children, but why don't we talk about his wife? now that would be fascinating...

Emily said...

or come to think of it, his harem... I bet Satan has a harem.